Sunday, January 5, 2014

Tea with Downton Abbey

Like most Downton Abbey fans, I have been anxiously awaiting the new season. What will happen to Mary and the rest of the family following Matthew's death? Tonight, we'll find out.


I've seen lots of fun ideas for Downton Abbey-themed parties on Pinterest, but tonight it will be just John and me watching at our house. Still, I thought it'd be fun to have tea and a few things to nibble on. I made my favorite Lemon Blueberry Scones and a simple version of cucumber sandwiches.


For the sandwiches, I baked mini loaves of my regular wheat bread and sliced it thin. Then I spread each with Laughing Cow Light Cheese and topped with a slice of cucumber.


I like to make mini scones when I make up a scone recipe. They make for a better finger food and are a perfect size for the kids.


If you're looking for me on Sunday nights for the next few months, I will be glued to the TV watching the drama unfold at Downton Abbey.

Lemon Blueberry Scones
from www.bakingbites.com

2 C. all-purpose flour
1/4 C. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, chilled
1/2 C. milk
1/4 C. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 C. frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into 6-8 chunks and add to flour mixture, tossing to coat. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it's sandy and butter is well distributed, with no pieces larger than a big pea. Add in milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir until dough comes together. If dough is too wet, add an additional Tbsp. of flour to the dough.

Either keeping the dough in your mixing bowl, or turning it onto a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 1 min. Flatten dough and add blueberries. Knead gently for 30-60 seconds to distribute them. Divide dough into 2 balls and press each into a disc about 3/4 inch thick. Use a knife and divide each disc into triangles (8 large or 12 mini) and place scones on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 17-22 min., until scones are golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Lemon Glaze (optional, but highly recommended)
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 C. confectioners' sugar

Whisk glaze ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could be watching with you. It will just be me and Maggie, huddled under a blanket watching - maybe with some hot chocolate. I would sure like one of those scones to go with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed almost all of last season! I knew about his death but the decision to either turn on the TV and watch this season or just wait until I can catch up all at one time is killing me! I love it though. What a great Downton Abbey party.

    ReplyDelete